Saturday, May 27, 2017

Angel Fish

I started this piece to answer the challenge of making something with the theme of 'animals' and the color 'black & white.'

I found some watery looking fabric and cut 'clam shells' from the dark to fuse to a lighter fabric.

Before I was even half done with this part; I decided to swap the two fabrics around and cut light clam shells to fuse to the dark fabric.

There! I got them all fused in place and quilted wavy water over them to make a background scene for ...

... some black & white angel fish.

At this point I felt the piece needed something else to make it come to life. So I asked for ideas on FaceBook and SAQArtique. And the ideas came!

To make it less busy I toned down the dark in the background with oil pastels...

... and added more sea weed and coral ...

... only to make it busier yet!

Finally I was convinced to only use the orange coral and let the piece be more open at the top. And ta-da, it worked!

Angel Fish
8" X 11"
Commercial cotton fabric, Superior Rainbows & Fantastico thread, Oil Pastels
$135

Detail

3 comments:

clar said...

Cool artwork. Thanks for sharing. Try to check this too
DogsNStuff.net

clar said...

Very nice artwork. I love it. Thanks once again for sharing this kind of article. Try to check this too
Types of Insectst

alex said...

Nice post.
http://ttlink.com/andyroma/detail

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...