Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Orca Bay & Sewing Retreat

The mystery quilt, Orca Bay that Bonnie Hunter has designed has been a lot of fun for me. I followed along, lagging behind with each step and it seemed I just couldn't catch up. And I'm still not caught up. I need to finish cutting, piecing, and adding the borders yet. Hopefully it won't be long until I get it finished.b3

My sister Polly the Patchworker and I got to see each other's quilts in real life this past week during our annual Heatwole Sewing Retreat. It was so special to be together and compare our quilts side by side.b1

And now I want to share with you some of the quilts and highlights of the week.
Our dear Mother worked on 6 doll comfort tops made from velvet.b2

My name sake, Julia, came and visited and cut out quilt blocks. We enjoyed her dry sense of humor and cracked up laughing.IMG_5416

Her daughter Queena sat across the table from me. We have many fond childhood memories of being with their family. Queena made this traditional top using 1930's reproduction prints.
IMG_5424

My niece, Rebecca started this Jan Krentz star last year. She wants to add Hunter's Stars around it and make it bed size.IMG_5421

Another project of my sister Coleen's was to make 2 reversible denim/flannel rag comforts in size large!IMG_5431
IMG_5476

My sister Sheila was glad to get the borders on her red and green quilt.
IMG_5475

Cheryl, my brother Oren's wife, sewed on this heart quilt ...IMG_5481

... and this string quilt.IMG_5482

Some of my projects included this crib quilt for our son Craig & Ang's baby, Tina Sue.IMG_5485

I also worked on making a quilt from Father's shirts sewing them into boxes, and a small printed picture, and then I sewed some of my Possum Town, Delta Mystery quilt blocks together.IMG_5456

My sister Emily made this buggy wall hanging for her mother in law.IMG_5444

She also created this improvisational quilt using a bandana with cows as a spring board.IMG_5465

My sister, June, worked on her velvet clam shell quilt.IMG_5462

All too soon the week was over and it was time to go home. Paul and I gave Coleen & Claire a lift to Georgia where Glen picked them up. They were so grateful for the ride, but waiting for 1 1/2 hours for Glen wasn't their cup of tea. They were asked "When will the garage sale start?" and then other people wondered if they could help them. I'm sure they were glad when Glen finally came.IMG_5491

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

That looks like TOO much fun!
Loved all the projects! I especially liked Cheryl's heart quilt!
Coleen and Claire's smiles are bigger than those of most squatters.

Nancy said...

Wonderful work and wonderful get-away retreat. The Orca Bay quilts are very striking, and I love the heart quilt and the shirt quilt. Lovely.

Lorraine said...

The doll comfort quilts are wonderful! And the Orca Bay quilts...how fun to see the two side-by-side!

Quilter Kathy said...

What a wonderful time you had! And such beautiful projects to sew! LOVE your Orcas!

Kathy said...

What a wonderful celebration of family and creativity! I came over to see the Orca Bay quilts, but there was so much more! Beautiful work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...