Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Green -- Rolling Hills

When the CAC sent a call for entries for a GREEN exhibit I decided to submit a small piece that I call “Rolling Hills.”
I found a piece of green fabric that gradually shaded from one green to the next. Ombre, I think it’s called. I cut the fabric in strips and sewed a cream narrow strip between the green strips.
IMG_0064

Then I added a backer and batting, basted it with safety pins and quilted organic lines with my sewing machine.IMG_0089

Then I shaped and cut the top of the quilt into a smooth curve for the “rolling hills.” Next I added the cream fabric to the top along with batting and backer and echo quilted the curve.
IMG_0135 - Copy

Instead of the regular 1/4” binding that I’m used to, I made it 1/2” to keep it consistent with the 1/2” cream vertical strips in the quilt.IMG_0134

The back has “fast finished triangles” for mounting with a rod.IMG_0138 - Copy

I printed the label onto fabric that I had ironed to freezer paper and sent it through my printer.
IMG_0142

This was a WIP, but now I'm all finished. Check other WIP at Freshly Pieced. And meet other quilters at Lily's Quilts.
Lily's Quilts
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is what greeted me the other day when I drove in the lane and up to the house.IMG_0143

The next day we saw him and smelled him, road kill, out on the highway.IMG_0147

Gabriel is still faithfully working on his ultra light, Leagle Eagle in his spare time.IMG_0156

17 comments:

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

I just adore your Rolling Hills quilt. It is so beautiful. What a great idea for ombre fabric. I have some stashed but wasn't sure how to use it. Love this idea!

Kathy @ Kwilty Pleasures said...

Just lovely....

Anonymous said...

I am in awe of anyone who can handle curves. Nice work.

Dee said...

What a fun, elegant piece! Awesome finish!

Jenny said...

Very interesting composition. Love the clean lines. It's very striking.

Deborah said...

I LOVE your Rolling Hills quilt!! Fabulous!!

Becky said...

Beautiful quilt!! Thanks for sharing!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Your Rolling Hills quilt is just amazing!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The curved edge and quiliting that echoes it is just beautiful!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Amazing quilt. Thanks for sharing.

Cindy said...

I like your rolling hills quilt. Great job on the curves.

M-R Charbonneau said...

Ooh, very nice, Julia!

SuperMomNoCape said...

I love your Rolling Hills quilt. And the way you quilted it really enhances it.

Lynette said...

Nice mini. How lovely for somebody to squish your "friend" and release that aroma!

Laura said...

Rolling hills are lovely, but poor Pepe the skunk :(

Shauna said...

Beautiful and so creative! Simple but stunning!

Richard Healey said...

Thank you for linking up in March to Richard and Tanya Quilts on our Link a Finish Friday. We will have a new linkup available every Friday. So stop by and share what you have been working on and check out what others are doing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...