Monday, June 03, 2013

Wheat and Lilies

Life …
The men started cutting wheat today.
IMAG0156
Ashton found this little critter yesterday on the weather boarding of the house. Later he hopped over to the front door and looked as if he wanted in. Today I saw his tiny fingers curled around the ledge of the dumpster. His beady popped eyes were peering at me over the ledge.
IMG_1565
… as a Quilter
Remember the art quilt I started on Memorial Day? I decided to put some kind of a lily on it.
IMG_1532
I quilted the background with a serpentine stitch from side to side.
Then using the Carolina Lily block pattern for inspiration I designed a bouquet, sitting in grass, framed with lily petals.
IMG_1544
After I had fused the grass down and looked at it a while, I decided I didn’t like the grass. So, I heated it up again and pulled it off.
IMG_1545
Then I cut out some more lily parts like the top and sides …
IMG_1547
… and added them to the bottom and I liked that much better.
IMG_1548
Then I stitched all the silhouette down.
IMG_1574 1984X1487
I couldn’t think of a good name so I just call it plain “Lily.”
IMG_1576
IMG_1580
And then I thought, well, why not get a picture of ‘Lily’ with real lilies!
IMG_1597 1984X2188
Here I can visualize the real lilies making the shadows on the quilt.
IMG_1585 1981X2445
And Emily was with me for a day. She started this quilt around lunch and finished it up just after supper. I’m anxious to show you her finished project, but I must wait.
IMG_1552

See other inspiration at Off the Wall Friday and Amanda's Finish it up Friday.

15 comments:

Donna said...

Wow!! I love what you did with that quilt! I am in awe of your creativity and skill!

Fullfilling my Dreams said...


what a great job you did. It is so very pretty Julia.

PollythePatchworker said...

Julia I love the way you do Life: As a Quilter:
It's as creative as your quilts are!
Are you packing your bags yet? I leave on Thursday heading down to Va. in the evening. Friday morning begining our summer travels. We'll see you on Saturday...I think.

Brenda said...

great lily quilt! where do you live that wheat is ready to harvest? Up here in Manitoba we're just barely into spring.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Lovely creative work as usual.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Lovely creative work as usual.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a cute little tree frog, we have them around here too! Your quilt is so beautiful and how creative!

Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Sara said...

Your Lily is marvelously done!! Emily's is striking as well:)

Love the blooming hydrangeas and lilies as it reminds me of our yard right now!

Kathy S. said...

Beautiful Lily! Great pics. Can't wait to see Emily's first finish. The colors are already great.

Nancy said...

I love the way that the edges of the quilt repeat parts of the lily design from the middle of the quilt. Really ties the composition together.

Julie in GA said...

Your lily quilt is beautiful. I especially love what you did for the borders.

ipatchandquilt said...

Congratulations on your finish!
Esther
ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com
esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo com

Laura said...

That is a lovely quilt... And thanks for joining TGIFF!

Sarah Craig said...

That's very pretty, Julia! Thanks for sharing your process, too. I'm also intrigued by the last photo - neat looking quilt! Whoop whoop!!

Linda Thielfoldt said...

Just lovely Julia!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...