Saturday, March 25, 2017

Great Fishing for SAQA

This is my 2017 donation piece for the SAQA Benefit Auction.
I'm calling it "Great Fishing." See how that fish has been enticed by the lure?
It measures 12"X12".

Here's a detail shot for you to see the quilting stitches up close.

The back is signed and has a 2" hanging sleeve.

So, how did I make this piece? Here are some of the steps I took. I marked a grid on the background fabric on the left and cut out patches from the fused fabric on the right.

Next I cut out square patches from the fused fabric and laid them onto the background fabric.

More patches cut out and laid onto the background fabric a little at a time.

Now the patches can be pressed down and ...

... the piece is trimmed and ready to be layered with batting and a backing.

I chose Superior's Fantastico thread ...


... for the horizontal quilting.

This is the fun part.

Just about finished with quilting the background.

I cut out pieces of black Kona Cotton with fusible on it and arranged the pieces to form the fish.

After some modifications; I quilted the black with an orange thread.

And then I decided to add more and more orange thread. My black fish turned into a gold fish.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...