Monday, June 11, 2012

Thread Breakage and Skipped Stitches

Oh, dear. What do I do now? My fun little project is coming to a halt.


I have changed needles and more needles. I've changed thread and still the stippling is not going good. Can you see the skipped stitches and thread problems?


I'm now wondering if it's my batting. It's of unknown content and it has a very thin coating of something kinda like a plastic foam over it. I'm wondering if it is dulling my needle and making my thread shred. Now that I've come this far, what is left to do but pitch the project? Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Martha Ginn said...

Julia, you didn't mention changing the bobbin; be sure to rethread top and bottom, then change each with trial runs in between each change. Your straight (gentle curving) stitches seem okay with the problem showing up on tight curves. Also, your stitches look smaller on the stippling. I know it is hard to stitch tight curves slowly (at least for me), but try going slower to see if this helps. I don't see how the batting could be the problem since part of the piece has very good stitches. Work this out on a scrap of the same top, batting, and backing to keep from having to rip out. I never give up or throw away. But some pieces are never shown to others!

Martha Ginn said...

Wow! I had to prove the person vs robot three times to get it right. Like I said--I never give up.

Nancy said...

It's such a beautiful piece.. I shudder to think of your tossing it. But understand the frustration of skipped stitches, etc. I agree with the previous suggestion to practice on another sandwich of the same materials. Are you using a stitch regulator on your machine by any chance? If so, try it without. Also, the little Bobbin Genies might be helpful to allow your thread to slip more readily. And a thread holder off the machine might help, too. Good luck and keep us posted if you find your solution.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...