Thursday, May 16, 2013

Granny’s Scraps Quilt


AmysCreativeSide.com
 
 Twice a year we get to enjoy an online quilt show from our own home hosted by Amy.
 
I’m calling my entry “Granny’s Scraps” and entering into the Group/Bee Category.
IMG_1310

You see, last year Evie found a pile of 3” scrappy squares at our Magnolia Sewing Circle from cottons, polyester/cotton, and shirting. She brought them over to my house and wanted help in designing a quilt.
t25

What could we make with such an odd collection? … We divided the squares into 3 piles, light, medium, and dark.
t24

Then we put them up on my design wall in “granny square” fashion dividing the lights from the mediums with a single row of darks.
t20

We were right pleased with the outcome and took it to our Magnolia Sewing Circle to get help with the hand quilting.
IMG_4222

Mary, Thelma, Paul’s mom, and Anna Mae have a turn putting in stitches.
IMG_0245

Even the children like to be around the quilt.
IMG_0248

Here it’s all finished and ready for it’s new home.
IMG_1318 
 
Detail and backing.
IMG_1312

Granny’s Scraps
IMG_1310

Finished: May 15, 2013
Dimensions: 90"X74"
Fiber: cotton, poly/cotton, shirting
Hand Quilted by Magnolia Sewing Circle Ladies

Category: Group/Bee

Creations by Nina-Marie


17 comments:

janequiltsslowly said...

Lovely find with a great design solution.

Sara said...

My favorite part about this quilt is the purple shade in it and that you all hand quilted it together!

Elita@Busy Needle Quilting said...

What a great idea! Very creative and a good use of the fabrics on hand. The quilting is lovely and I love the picture of the ladies quilting it!

Sarina said...

Excellent sorting! The finished quilt is beautiful - a true group effort.

CitricSugar said...

I love the interplay of value... Beautiful work.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Love the quilt and all the pictures and stories you shared. Thanks!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This quilt is beautiful and I love how it was made by you all together :)

Darlington Delights said...

What a lovely quilt. I am so jealous of your quilty friends...I must make quilty friends, too.

MulticoloredPieces said...

The green/burgundy-red lattice makes this quilt very pleasing. There's nothing like the simple square and a lovely set of colors.
best, nadia

Gwendolyn said...

So lovely! Congratulations!

Gwendolyn said...

So lovely! Congratulations!

PollythePatchworker said...

Julia what a stunning scrappy quilt with squares on hand. Just goes to show how your quilting mind works. Lovely!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a beautiful quilt - I love how you seperated the fabrics and what you came up with. And of course - the kids!! Great job!

Britt G. said...

What a neat idea to apply to scraps - a scrappy granny! I have wanted to make a granny squares quilt and I love crappy - so maybe this look will be in my future - I've bookmarked the picture as a reminder!

Vernon and Kim said...

I love it. :-)

Cathie said...

The color arrangement is fantastic and so is the back. Great project and a fun memory for your group.

Tracey Jacobsen said...

Beautiful! I love the value play and texture!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...