Friday, July 18, 2014

Peacock Quilt Challenge

I took up the challenge to use a panel of peacock feathered fabric along with 2 other fabrics to make a small quilt.
I first fused the fabric to Heat-n-Bond fusible. I was wishing for “Misty Fuse” to try out but alas I didn’t have any.
IMG_3668

I cut the panel into 1” squares on the diagonal.

IMG_3675

IMG_3677

I drew a grid 1 3/16” X 1 3/16” on point onto my dusty gold background fabric with a cheap Bic mechanical pencil. I’ve heard that the lead is so cheap that it will dust away by the time you are finished with your project.
IMG_3683

Then I added the other squares, the blue squares at the top and the light squares at the bottom. Not appealing at all. There is no contrast.
IMG_3684

So I laid the light squares at the top and the blue at the bottom. Much better!
IMG_3687

And I fused them all in place. (I’m sorry about the color and lighting)
IMG_3692

I thought the quilt needed a focal point and a shot of another color, maybe red/orange.
IMG_3700

In the mean time I quilted the squares to the background +/- 1/8” apart horizontally.
IMG_3702

I finally decided a silhouetted peacock with a touch of red-orange would be my focal point.
IMG_3752

I’m now quilting the feathers with a variegated thread.
IMG_3756

And now I'm needing a name for the piece. What does a peacock represent? Haughty pride???? Solomn brought peacocks back with gold, silver, ivory and apes. ... God asked Job, "Gavest thou the goodly wings unto the peacocks? ..." What are your suggestions for a name?

Linking to:
Creations by Nina-Marie      

11 comments:

Heather Pregger said...

Julia, this is beautiful. And you've put it together so quickly -- I'm amazed!

I don't know if I can help with a name (I pretty much number my quilts rather than name them), but the peacock symbolizes more than pride. They were once associated with royalty, and the eyes of the peacock feather could represent the "all seeing" church.

Tonya Stewart said...

Julia,

It turned out beautiful!!! I would say Proud as a Peacock...could go for prideful peacocks or ur feeling of the work....which u should b extremely proud of!!!

Anonymous said...

Would it presumptuous to call it "Godly wings?" Thank you for posting the steps. this is amazing.. I believe it is Godly talent!

Unknown said...

I would go with Eyes of Heaven or Heavenly Eyes...we had a neighborhood peacock. It's voice sounded exactly like a crying infant. It walked with Grace...not pride. Heavenly Grace...you quilt is exquisite whatever you name it! imakejoy@aol.com

Turtlemoonimpressions said...

Good choice Julia! It's really coming together nicely!

Ruthie said...

I thought of "Eyes for you" and "Pride and Joy" and "Solomon's Chickens" :-) Looks good!

Wendy said...

Your quilt is stunning! Peacocks are also associated with royalty and I would call this one Royal Splendor if it were mine...I absolutely love this one...great job on making such a stunning quilt for the challenge...

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Gosh you have a great creative mind to be able to come up with that out of the original fabric - really gorgeous, well done!

Sherry VF said...

I don't have a name but your quilt is a lesson in perseverence! You had a creative idea which didn't pan out, so, you kept making adjustments and ended up with a knock out quilt. Kudos.

quintuplicatemom said...

This is stunning! You are a talented art quilter.

Karyn said...

What a creative idea. It looks amazing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...