Saturday, March 16, 2013

Mother’s Quilt, Spring Storm, Guests

Mother has stuck with her string quilt and sewed and sewed. And now she already has it finished. We thought she was making this for charity; but yesterday I got to thinking that here she made this quilt when she is 87 years old, and I think it needs to stay in the family as an heirloom. So she said I could have it. How about that? Maybe we can do something else for charity!

We are trying to think of a good name for it. Maybe someone out there in blog land has a good idea of a name.
IMG_0490

I have been working on “Spring Storm” as much as I can. Here is the background for a big bolt of lightning coming down out of the sky.
IMG_0480

I’ve machine appliqued the lightning to the background and now I’m quilting it with organic lines about 1/8” apart. I’m loving the texture the quilting is giving it.
IMG_0483

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't forget to enter my fabric giveaway here. You have until March 17 to enter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Sunday we had a table full of company.

Darren & Becky with Corina
IMG_0451


Wes & Heidi with Jackie and WilliamIMG_0454

Jed & Vicki
IMG_0455

Paul’s folks, Mom & Daddy
IMG_0456

Melanie
IMG_0457

and my mother, Margaret.
IMG_0458

11 comments:

Angie in SoCal said...

My mom will be 87 next month and she's a sewing whiz, too, like yours. A very patriotic quilt she made. You have a lovely family! And Spring Storm is shaping up nicely.

Deborah said...

Your mother's quilt should definitely be a family heirloom. What a treasure. Your heart must be full, as well as your table, to be surrounded by so many loved ones.

PollythePatchworker said...

Julia this post sure warms my heart. I love how so many people are blessed by coming and going through your home. I'm so glad you are keeping the quilt mother made. My farmer's delight that grandmother Vera made was when she was 89 and its such a treasure. Love you.

Jan Baker said...

I am so glad your keeping the quilt. When I read about your Mom , I'll I could think is Family Tradition. 3bakergirlsgo@gmail.com

Heather said...

Your mother's quilt is very happy as it made me smile. Wow, that must have been some family gathering. I love it when my house is full of family and friends.

Nancy said...

Good for your mother! I like her quilt. And yours is looking good with that stitching. Her string quilt makes me think of those square bandanas in red and blue, so maybe something like Bandana Bonanza?

Tammy said...

Your mothers quilt is beautiful whatabout nameing it "87 strings" or "strings of Life"

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

So glad you are keeping the quilt - that's very special!

Heather, Brit from California said...

You're mother looks wonderful and I think her quilt is beautiful. I thought of "Diamonds in the Sky"

Nancy Bowron said...

What a treasure! How about "Mom's Diamonds"? Who says heirlooms need to be set in gold or platinum to have beautiful meaning?!

Cathy Perlmutter said...

Beautiful quilts, beautiful kids, parents and grandparents!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...