Friday, October 04, 2013

Cleaning, Finishes, Setting Sage, and Autumn Maple Quilts

Before I get to the “finishes” I want to tell you about …

Life …

We had our fall church cleaning today. Veronica ran the sweeper.
IMG_8011

Angie washed windows.
IMG_8002

And we had lots of other help that made the job go fast. I got to clean the sewing closet. It’s a walk-in style and big enough room to have a small Sunday School class.

In the big closet is the smaller closet where we keep finished quilts and comforters, batting, a box of scraps to be cut into carpet strips, and then on the bottom right are the tubs we use for our  communion and feet washing service.
IMG_7994

I like these shelves that hold the fabric, backings, and projects in progress.
IMG_7993

And now, it’s all clean.

… as a Quilter

Perry and Emily came this week. Perry to help with bean harvest and Emily to ... sew with me?

Remember how she started this little art quilt HERE and HERE? She added a tree and then spooled out thread for the leaves and covered the thread with tulle and stitched over it. 
IMG_7984

And now it is finished!  She is calling it “Setting Sage.” It measures 14”X12” and is for sale for $99.00.
IMG_8035

Emily also brought along her “fractured chevron quilt” and today got it all pin basted and ready to quilt.

Fractured QAL


IMG_7977

I continue to work on my “lily” quilt.
IMG_7973

I’m still trying to decide what color of thread to use on my lily, so I decided to make a small art quilt with a sampling of the thread on the black fabric.
IMG_8045

I’m calling it “Autumn Maple.” It measures 12 1/2” X 12 1/2” and is for sale for $75.00.  SOLD
IMG_8053

The back has “fast finished triangles”  ready for hanging.
IMG_8055

The label.
IMG_8056




Dana finished all 9 wonky blocks and is ready to sew them together.
IMG_7970

Her twin sister Sarah came for a friendly visit today. They both have bubbling personalities and they both love cats!
IMG_8042

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the Lily quilt and small art guilt, the beautiful colors of the chevron quilt, but the Wonky blocks are my favourites! What a pleasure to sew together.
Love from Amsterdam

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

Love the maple quilt - it's just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Your maple quilt is fabulous...and I love the other sewing projects. Thanks for sharing. Marie .

Barb Neiwert said...

Great projects! How did you stitch the designs on the black sections of the leaf? Freehand, or with an embroidery machine? Very pretty.

LA Paylor said...

I love your lily quilt. The quilting in sage is wonderful, the movement created with quilting line is soothing and organic.
LeeAnna Paylor

a maidenhair fern said...

What a beautiful art quilt. I like the idea of the members cleaning the church. We do that too. Love the quilt closet at the church :)

a maidenhair fern said...

What a beautiful art quilt. I like the idea of the members cleaning the church. We do that too. Love the quilt closet at the church :)

PollythePatchworker said...

Julia, Emily's Sage quilt is so eye catching. The colors all work together so well. I keep looking at the ground and the different ways it was quilted. Striking.
We need to encourage her to start a quilting blog.
So glad you two are my sisters.

Jennifer D said...

Those art quilts are just gorgeous!! Great job ladies!

imquilternity said...

I love the new take on the "Fractured" quilt... would never have thought to do that! Isn't it great to see all the wonderful variations that result from just one pattern? It's beautiful.

Vicki W said...

Oh gosh, I love Emily sage quilt! I may have to rethink the layout for my second one.

Laura said...

Wow, that's a lot of finishes!

Heather Pregger said...

I love "Setting Sage!" What a fabulous art quilt! And "Autumn Maple" is lovely!

Sarah Craig said...

Wow, Julia - what a great batch of eye candy!! It's all so beautiful, it would be really hard to pick a favorite! Whoop whoop!!

Studio Kaufmann said...

Saying hi from Whatever Goes Wednesday. I'm your latest follower. Thanks for sharing your amazing quilts.Emily's Setting Sage quilt is so beautiful - it is a real work of art.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your photos of your daily life, community projects, and quilts. I am always inspired when I have a chance to read your blog. Your Autumn Maple quilt is lovely with the detailed stitching it makes it look like leaves shining before the fall off the tree.

Rachel said...

I really like your Autumn Maple quilt. How did you make that interesting design on the leaf pieces? Is that freehand?

M-R Charbonneau said...

Great work, Julia! Love that thread work! I'm glad you linked up to TGIFF!, but to be eligible for the OctoberQuest 2 prizes, you need to include a link back to the TGIFF! party in your post. I've unlinked your post, but if you add the link, I hope you'll link back up! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...