Showing posts with label Daddy's Ties. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Daddy's Ties. Show all posts

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Life, Ashton's Art Quilt, and Daddy's Ties II

We have enjoyed our ducks quite a bit. They have gradually gotten used to the pond but are still afraid of people.

Kirby, Stacy, and Teryn drive motorcycles like acrobats.

... as a Quilter
Ashton finally finished his art quilt. He calls it "Going to the Car Show."

Detail

Folding and fusing the binding to the quilt.

Here he is stitching the fused binding down.

video


I'm liking how "Daddy's Ties II" for Mr. PeaPicker is turning out.

Thursday, June 08, 2017

Life

Life ...
Paul just happened to be at the right spot when I asked to get a picture of Justin and Rachel, the new bride and groom.

Maybe Quinten can help get the radio controlled plane going.

Home ... sweet home!


We have 4 Pekin and 4 Mallard ducks that we enjoy.

... as a Quilter
I've finally finished a quilt for Josiah Paul.

He was right pleased to be able to take it home.

I'm starting another quilt for "PeaPicker" using the scraps of his daddy's ties. It's taking a little longer as I need to do more piecing and trying to make the best use of the scraps.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Daddy's Ties from Buck Hildreth


Life ...
Rusty was entertained for a bit with the mirrors on the medicine cabinet.

... as a Quilter
I finished the quilt I have been working on for "Pea Picker." I just love the way the light reflects and gives luminosity to the quilt.

"Daddy's Ties"
from the collection of 'Buck' Hildreth.
66"X56"
Each tie was picked open and ironed. Then I added a lightweight woven interfacing to each piece to help stabilize the fabric.

I quilted it with loop-dee-loops and then trimmed it and sewed on the binding with my machine. Then I hand stitched the binding to the back side.

The label

And then Mr. Jimmy (Pea Picker) came by to pick it up. I think he was as pleased as me.

Linking to
Nina Maria's "Off the Wall Friday" and
Amanda Jean's "Finish It Up Friday"

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Children, En Provence, and Daddy's Ties

Games and storybooks kept Georgi, Talya, and Delta entertained while their parents were out for the evening.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had fun trying different arrangements with the units.

And now I have started working on clue #3. I'm a bit leery about the light purples being too dark; but I'm tired of second guessing myself and decided to just go for it...


...and use my original pallet of fabrics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The quilt I'm making for 'Pea Picker' of his "Daddy's Ties" is in the quilting stage now. Here I have matched up 'frames' for the smaller rectangles.

This is the finished top that is ready for quilting. I like the luminosity that the silk ties provide.


'Pea Picker' brought some of his daddy's shirts to me and I thought to use them for the back of the quilt. After I got it all pieced I decided that it just didn't go with the classy silk front. So I found a better suited backer. This back would be great for a more casual top.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Good morning -- through the kitchen window.






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ashton had Darren over to play on Saturday morning. After having fun around the muddy pond out in the cold, they were glad for the laundry tub and warm water.

Monday, December 05, 2016

En Provence and Pea Picker's Daddy's Ties

I didn't get very far with the sewing of clue #2 of Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt "En Provence." At least all the pieces are cut out. I opted for a more subdued magenta with gold. The background fabric here is what I plan to use as my light purple.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paul learned to know Pea Picker from driving truck. He asked Paul if I would make a quilt from his daddy's ties who had passed away sometime earlier. His daddy was a funeral director and dressed up a lot; so he had a big assortment of ties. I spent many hours carefully picking out the stitching and getting them ready to use. Then I decided I really do need to wash them on a very gentle cycle. So I did ... and then I had a big mess of mangled ties. My new washing machine twists and mangles so many things, even jeans. (I think I'm ready for another brand. Maybe Speed Queen.)

So then I worked at ironing them out and fusing a lightweight woven interfacing to the back of the ties to stabilize them and cut out rectangles.


I'm alternating a whole block with a smaller framed block and will decide on placement when I get most of the framed blocks sewn.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...