Thursday, October 30, 2014

Fiber Art Quilt – Can This Piece Stand Alone?

Can this piece of fiber art stand alone?
When I started this work HERE, I was thinking of making this the background and then adding a focal point (a rocking chair) in silhouette form to the front like I did my peacock quilt HERE.

IMG_5044 997X1000

The small square patches measure 7/8” with 3/16” between patches. I placed the apple there to help you get a feel for the size of the whole piece that measures 22” X 22.”

IMG_5047

Now that I’m ready to add the rocking chair, I feel the background is way too busy. So, can this piece stand alone?
What are your ideas and thoughts? Is there some sort of name and artist statement that could accompany the piece?

Creations by Nina-Marie  

7 comments:

Cary Flanagan said...

I love your process - very cool. I think if you accentuate the leaves (fruit?) near the center that would be enough. I would not add a rocking chair - there is no connection (for me).

Cary Flanagan

Unknown said...

I enjoy watching u n ur family! I see 2 people sittin on the porch behind the kattice with a lighted window. 'Tranqui Summer's Eve'???

Anonymous said...

I agree with Anne......I also see figures on the other side of the lattice. It's like I'm "Looking Through The Lattice"....nice job

Stoney said...

I would add the rocking chair.
creates a focus point for the eye.
But since it's your vision of beauty, your creative spirit at work, go with what your heart says to do.

A title?
"I have earned this rest"

Best wishes
Stoney

Anonymous said...

Julia i love your work, you have such a creative mind. The fabric is so beautiful . If you ever decide to have a class on this process i would love to learn how to do it. I never know what my schedule is at work but maybe i could work it out. Good luck , i know its going to be a great piece. It already is so pleasing to look at. Shirley huff

Martha Ginn said...

I think the grid makes a fine background for a focal point, and if your initial vision and intention is to add a rocking chair, you should go ahead with that plan--a silhouette in dark brown or black. The statement must be what YOU intend to portray. What does the piece say to you after you add the rocking chair?

Unknown said...

I like the idea of a rocking chair. That would add just that little bit more interest. Maybe put it in the lower right??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...